Author Topic: Problem Login Clients: Query failed: Data too long for column userAgent  (Read 11099 times)

lucho.gonzales.a

Hi:
I am a new member here at the forum, I have just installed and set up mibew. I can access the administrative page without a problem, but when I try to log as a visitor, I am getting the following error: Query failed: Data too long for column 'userAgent' at row 1 and nothing else in the page.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem can be?

Thanks in advanced.

Lucho

thausnebel

Re: Problem Login Clients: Query failed: Data too long for column userAgent
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Hi, i having the same issuem, can you tell me if you solve it.

Best regards and thanks for the help
Jose

Zappa

Re: Problem Login Clients: Query failed: Data too long for column userAgent
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
I know this thread is old but I had this problem with the latest version (1.6.4). For anyone else having this issue the way to a quick fix is to increase the size in the database for the UserAgent column. I increased it to 512 (was 255) with the following MySQL command:
Code: [Select]
ALTER TABLE `chatthread` CHANGE `userAgent` `userAgent` VARCHAR(512)
Hope this helps someone.

For the devs of this awesome product: The table size should probably be increased in the next version or truncate the user agent string at the maximum the database can hold as this may be an issue for end users at present and in the future. It seems that some office plugins add extra strings to the browsers useragent in IE (which is what caused this problem for me). For example my Useragent on IE 8 is as follows:
Code: [Select]
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET4.0C; InfoPath.3; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Tablet PC 2.0; .NET4.0E; MS-RTC LM 8)