Author Topic: Java Based Application  (Read 46651 times)

Doakurst

Java Based Application
« on: April 30, 2009, 08:05:47 PM »
Hey all,
 I am gonna start on a Java SE based program so that everyone on any platform can use a desktop based program to link up to there server/web site. This will get rid of the whole Mac vs. Window vs. Linux debate.

Peace,
Jarod

freepokero

Re: Java Based Application
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 07:12:58 AM »
YAY!

As a linux user i'm really glad to hear this. Thank you very much.

Also i just translated your strings in the localisation forums to german. :-)

Doakurst

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 07:15:43 PM »
If there are any Java programmers out there help would be appreciated. Java doesn't have a swing that supports CSS, Javascript or anything else besides straight up HTML. I found  Cobra: http://lobobrowser.org/cobra.jsp Its a open source CSS/Javascript renderer but I have no idea how to implement it. Some Help would be great.

Also I included my latest Java project.

Inspirer

• Mibew Project founder
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 11:06:04 AM »

Doakurst

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:06:40 PM »
That would be useful if it was a bean or swing control. Sadly it isn't and makes my life even more complicated.

Doakurst

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:05:13 PM »
I may have to give up on the java application. There are no fully functional CSS parsers in Java. And getting a web browser is turning into a huge hassle.

Though I could always create a platform independent application that would open the OS's default web browser and send it to a home page specified by the application....
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 08:14:26 PM by Doakurst »

Inspirer

• Mibew Project founder
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:33:18 AM »
What do you think about implementing chat using java controls? Protocol is rather simple. Pure XML.
Another option is to create Eclipse RCP application using integrated (SWT) web browser.

simplyfat

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 02:03:17 AM »
why don't do a pure java chat software? who needs html rendering for a chat? the main feature is
a) waiting for customers to enter
b) chatting...

i did something like that one year ago for a social networking plattform, where i could not get the raw data or do any db-queries. i had to fake http request and however it worked pretty well. but this one is pretty straight forward if you do implement only the basic features. i did my user interface with a slightly customized jxtaskpane/-container..

edit: ahh.. i just looked at your windows app (its russian by default?!). now i know what you want. thats pretty simple. you just make a watchdog which polls the db for incoming chats and when a new request comes in, the app could play sound, show a ballon text and open the default browser.
1. you can open a url in the default browser with java.awt.Desktop (since java 6). use the browse()-funktion for that.
2. for ballon texts and tray-icon use jdic (needs platform-dependent port of the library which is BAD). https://jdic.dev.java.net/
3. if you really want to embed a browser like internet explorer into your java app use jdic, too. there is support for simple html in jeditorpane, too. both would be more than BAD.
anyway, i would consider a real app which implements the basic functionality on its own way more interessting. if i had some time... ;-)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:33:36 AM by simplyfat »

Inspirer

• Mibew Project founder
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 06:33:16 AM »
I'm going to create Java API package to hide all interaction with the server (XML through http).

Using it we can do:
1) webim to Jabber transport (chat using your favorite jabber/gtalk client)
2) pure Java application to track and chat visitors, open browser only for history, statistics etc.
3) everyone can develop automated help :) (yeah, when I started the messenger everyone who came asked "Are you a bot?" :) )

Doakurst

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
What do you think about implementing chat using java controls? Protocol is rather simple. Pure XML.
Another option is to create Eclipse RCP application using integrated (SWT) web browser.

I got the swt web broswer up. It is parsing css fine, for some reason it didn't before. I am having problems linking up the options pane for it. As for it not being a pure instant messenger... Well the description for the windows application was just a web browser wrapper program. Same with the Mac version. This allows to look at Canned Messages and Chat Histories if need be for the clients.

thirdeye954

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 02:16:59 AM »
sorry to spam in on ur discussion, but i just wanted to say "TTHHHAAANNKKKK YOUUU!!!" . I just found out about this software earlier today, after days of searching for a solution... wasn't easy to find.. but I love it :). I'm on a mac, so this would make the product sooo much better :).

Thank you!!!!

equipc

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 02:50:59 PM »
Any news about the Java application ?