Author Topic: UTF-8 encoding  (Read 15109 times)

actarus

UTF-8 encoding
« on: May 13, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »
Hello,
I installed webmin and add a language module (fr).
The special characters in admin panel are replaced by a  "?". If i manually switch the encoding of the webpage in the browser to ISO it displays the special characters well.
I guess it's link with my server configuration as locally i don't have the problem.
Any hint to solve the problem ?

Doakurst

Re: UTF-8 encoding
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »
For the characters are they the fancy 'e's? or the squiggly 'c's? If you look at the page source if its not é then the facny 'e's won't she up but will be replaced with an '?'

actarus

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 03:06:01 PM »
i didn't find any other solutions except to edit my local language sentences (admin > localization wizard) and remake all the sentences with special characters that were not displayed correctly. It seems it re-encoded well the é and others by doing this.
Strange it only happened to me.

Anyway thanks for the good work done on this Messenger.

Inspirer

• Mibew Project founder
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 07:55:42 PM »
Ideas:
1. French locale uses ISO-8859-1 encoding to store messages, you should have php-module "iconv" installed for correct work.
2. Your server can be configured to send "Content-type: text/html; charset=...." header and our header is somehow ignored.

Solutions:
1. Try attached properties file (it is french in UTF-8) instead of yours /locales/fr/properties.
2. Add <meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8;"/> into /views/inc_main.php after <head> (line 6).

Please, report if it helps.

zytep

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 11:44:12 AM »
The most simple sollution:

(had problems with Danish not showing ÆØÅ)

"Save the language file in utf-8" - eg. open it with notepad, choose save as - and edit the encoding to UTF-8)

If u tell the system to use utf-8, but the language file is hardcoded to eg. iso-8859-1 or whatever, it will fail:)

zytep

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 11:46:35 AM »
The most simple sollution:

(had problems with Danish not showing ÆØÅ)

"Save the language file in utf-8" - eg. open it with notepad, choose save as - and edit the encoding to UTF-8)

If u tell the system to use utf-8, but the language file is hardcoded to eg. iso-8859-1 or whatever, it will fail:)

Addition: You can also do this in dreamweaver (i assume some of you are:P) - Open the file, hit <Ctrl> + J, and change encoding to Unicode (UTF-8) - without the BOM