Author Topic: Many connections per second, server strain  (Read 10128 times)

RJMB

Many connections per second, server strain
« on: November 12, 2013, 07:33:20 PM »
Hello, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this or what it's about?

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/61vus.png

There appear to be 19 or so connections per second being made which is putting a strain on the server, basically the hosting company is telling me to get rid of it or they'll close the account. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dmitriy Simushev

• Native
Re: Many connections per second, server strain
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:02:09 PM »
Hi,

What version of Mibew do you use and how may operators use your Mibew installation?

It seems that either there are too many operators or your browser have some problems
with cookies. Any way, you can decrease average connections count per second by increasing
"Operator's console refresh time" value at "<Mibew URL>/operator/performance.php" page.

RJMB

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »
There would be at most two operators on, normally only one. Definetely not 19. I set the refresh rate to 4 seconds but that didn't affect the rate of access, very strange. The browser listed there is Chrome, could that be causing a massive refresh rate?

You are using:

Latest version:

Installed localizations:
en

Environment:
PHP 5.2.17 mysql/1.0 gd iconv

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 11:19:22 PM »
First of all, does your Mibew works at all? ;)

What is the value of 'Chat refresh time' setting?

I suppose that you use some shared hosting. What about its features and limits?

RJMB

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 09:31:27 AM »
What is the value of 'Chat refresh time' setting?
4 seconds.

I suppose that you use some shared hosting. What about its features and limits?
I don't understand the question, the PHP version was already listed? It's fairly standard shared hosting from one of the larger companies in the UK. If you need any more technical details let me know.

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
Ok, I'll try to explain a little bit further.

The shared hosting means that several sites shares the same system resources. So, your site and Mibew shares Apache and mysql with several other sites and webapps. And since Mibew produces a lot of http-requests during its normal work this could affect other sites and apps on the same shared hosting. And vice versa.

All shared hostings has its limits. CPU resources, memory, disk space, number of database connections, etc. That's what I've asked about.

The basic idea here is that if you install Mibew on a shared hosting and it doesn't work at all or doesn't work properly, the most likely reason that comes to my mind is the limits of the hosting.

RJMB

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »
Yes that's why the host is complaining. But it's not why I'm getting 19 requests a second. I've upgraded to PHP 5.4 now, we'll see how that works.

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »
Your trouble can be caused by:

a. Improperly hosting settings (OS, webserver, database, etc.);
b. Improperly Mibew installation or settings;
c. Improperly operation of the browser.

Since you haven't specified any details about your hosting besides the version of PHP, it's impossible to talk about the point a.

Since you have specified correct time settings for Mibew, I doubt that the cause is point b. However, you haven't answered the question whether your Mibew actually works, so it's impossible to exclude the point b.

Since you haven't answered the question whether your Mibew actually works and you haven't wrote that you've got the trouble in several browsers, it's impossible to talk about the point c.

So, for now the only thing that is clear is that something is wrong.