Author Topic: 1.6.7 Load?  (Read 19306 times)

kevin

1.6.7 Load?
« on: October 09, 2013, 02:46:32 PM »
First, great product.  Worked well out of the box.  We want to use this in a production environment and are wondering how well this script works when there is a lot of concurrent activities, users, chats.  Has anyone tested this application under load?  If so, what kind of results did you observe?

We're running on Ubuntu 12.04.2, on a m1.medium instance on AWS, LAMP setup.

TIA!

Kevin

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
Re: 1.6.7 Load?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »
it's quiet here, isn't it?  ;D

Well. We're not implemented stress tests yet, but there is a demo version of Mibew Messenger: http://demo.mibew.org/

It's running in the VPS with LAMP (Apache 2.2.24, MySQL 5.5.30, PHP 5.3.24 with Suhosin-Patch) without any special tweaks. PHP memory limit is 96Mb.

We've installed it from scratch at 2013-07-15. No problems so far.

Basic usage statistics is available here: http://demo.mibew.org/operator/statistics.php

If you have any particular questions, feel free to ask it.  :)

kevin

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:15:02 PM »
Hi faf,

Thanks for the insight.  I'm testing with a larger team together to get more than 10 sessions working at a given time.  Hopefully the application will stand up to the test!  From there on, we'll try to see what the upper limits are.

Kevin

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »
Cool. Please, tell us if you'll find out something interesting. ;)

kevin

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 09:26:05 PM »
So we tested for about 30 minutes.  We were only able to fetch about 7 concurrent chats happening.  At idle, the system sits at .5% CPU and 1.7GB RAM.  No real insight to MySQL load.  During testing, the highest we got the CPU to reach was about 7% and no movement on RAM.  System didn't appear to have any problems.  If I knew of a way to monitor MySQL that would be a different story as I believe this application relies heavily on the DB.

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »
Would you mind to answer some questions to bate my curiosity?

So we tested for about 30 minutes.  We were only able to fetch about 7 concurrent chats happening.

What was the limiting factor? Was it the number of testers or some technical reasons?

At idle, the system sits at .5% CPU and 1.7GB RAM.  No real insight to MySQL load.  During testing, the highest we got the CPU to reach was about 7% and no movement on RAM.  System didn't appear to have any problems.

What system have you used for tests?

If I knew of a way to monitor MySQL that would be a different story as I believe this application relies heavily on the DB.

Your assumption is right. ;) And what do you want to monitor on the MySQL level?

kevin

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 03:01:08 PM »
a) The limiting factor was personnel.  Sure I could have asked them each to launch two separate chat instances but, in this corporate world, time is money and people just want to get it on and done with.

b) The server is an AWS EC2 Ubuntu instance, m1.medium (which is overkill, will probably downgrade to m1.small soonish).

c) i/o? I'm no pro with SQL so, if you have any insight on what would eventually crash the DB, please let me know!

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 07:34:35 PM »
I see...

c) i/o? I'm no pro with SQL so, if you have any insight on what would eventually crash the DB, please let me know!

I really hope that there are no thing in Mibew that can eventually crush the DB  :D. At the same time there are a number of things that can significally improve DB performance (persistent connection for example) that is either already implemented in Mibew 2.x, or will be implemented when it will be ready for beta-testing.

kevin

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 08:34:18 PM »
Great news.  Glad to hear that this application is on the agile fast track :)

Is there a sneak peek at what's more to come?

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 09:25:29 PM »
Is there a sneak peek at what's more to come?

Sure. First of all, you can take a look at our roadmap: http://mibew.org/roadmap

Also, there is a live demo of ustable and untested Mibew 2.x. Though, it's a little bit outdated, since its regular auto-updates is yet to be implemented: http://mibew.org/demo2

And Mibew is an open source application after all  ;D, so here is the code that you may review: https://github.com/Mibew/mibew/tree/master

But don't ask me about the date of the first beta-release of Mibew 2.x. I really don't know. For now I can only hope that it will be in this year. ;)

kevin

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 03:02:21 PM »
LIKE!