Author Topic: Operators getting offline  (Read 7275 times)

jpassing

Operators getting offline
« on: March 31, 2015, 11:46:51 AM »
Hello again.

My operators are getting offline after a time. In Settings > Performance > Operator online time threshold, the time was the default value (30 seconds), but I was forced to increase this variable to a very high value (14400 or 4 hours).

The problem of this variable set too high: we have a working time to chat with visitor. When this time is achieved, the operators go home and the button should back to offline so we can receive offline messages from visitors. With this big variable value, visitors continue to see the button as online and, obviously, never get answered... So, it's embarrassing.

This said... Is this the correct behavior of the system or I can change something to let the operators online all the time unless they log out or close the system's window?

All my operators let the window (one tab in the browser) of visitors opened all the time. When the sound of a new visitor is played, they go back to the system and start chatting.

Thanks,
JP

Dmitriy Simushev

• Native
Re: Operators getting offline
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 01:17:48 PM »
Hi,

Let me explain what this option do. If last ping time of an operator is more than "Operator online time threshold" the operator is assumed as offline. So why did you set "Operator online time threshold" to 4 hours? This is actually the only reason of the problem.

Just set this option back to 30 seconds (or to a couple of minutes) and your problem will be solved.

jpassing

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 02:50:29 PM »
This is what I understood, but it's not working as expected.

With 30 seconds, they are getting offline even if they are with the visitor's window opened. I've seen and tested that. So, the visitors on the website get the offline button and cannot talk with my operators. The operators still believe they are waiting visitors, but no one will ever appear because the button is showing offline and redirecting visitors to offline messaging (by e-mail).

Even in the visitor's page the operators shows online (in the bottom of the page), but the button in the website shows offline. This is why I've increased that variable too much.

So, maybe this is a bug or I've to change something else?

Dmitriy Simushev

• Native
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 03:23:25 PM »
With 30 seconds, they are getting offline even if they are with the visitor's window opened. I've seen and tested that. So, the visitors on the website get the offline button and cannot talk with my operators. The operators still believe they are waiting visitors, but no one will ever appear because the button is showing offline and redirecting visitors to offline messaging (by e-mail).

Then your operators have connection problems. As I told you before the original problem can be fixed by setting moderate value to "Operator online time threshold" option.

If we talk about connection problems then I have no idea what is broken. So, if you want to get help, you should provide as many information about the problem as you can. This info must include at least:
1. Exact version of Mibew you are using.
2. Type of hosting (shared, VPS, VDS, ...).
3. Name and version of OS which is running at your server.
4. Versions of PHP, Apache, MySQL.
5. List of browsers (with versions) where the problem exists.
6. Contents of apache's error log.

jpassing

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 11:43:11 AM »
Hello and thank you again, Dmitriy.

I'm pretty sure that my LAN connection is stable. In the past I had big issues, but some months ago I've fixed all of them with high performance network equipments. So, maybe the problem relies in my hosting as you said. Some information:

- Mibew: 2.0.0-beta.3
- Apache: 2.2.22 (Debian)
- PHP: 5.3.14 (cli) (built: Jun 14 2012 20:16:10)
- MySQL: 5.1.73
- Type of hosting: VPS
- Browser: Google Chrome 41.0.2272.101 m
- Apache's error log: there is no error logged in Mibew's directory. See:

[piramides@l50cnn0135][logs]$ grep -ri mibew * | grep error_log
[piramides@l50cnn0135][logs]$

The above information is all about my external server (hosting). I've an internal server where I'm thinking to install Mibew and test again. Do you already know if the configuration below is more stable?

- Mibew: 2.0.0-beta.5 (then I'll upgrade)
- PHP: 5.4.36-0+deb7u3 (cli) (built: Jan  9 2015 09:05:14)
- MySQL: 14.14 Distrib 5.5.41, for debian-linux-gnu (i686) using readline 6.2

Dmitriy Simushev

• Native
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 01:26:13 PM »
With the provided info the only advice I can give you is to increase "Operator's console refresh time" and "Chat refresh time" values at "Settings" > "Performance" page. It should decrease total requests count to the server.

- Browser: Google Chrome 41.0.2272.101 m

Try to use other browsers. Also you should check browsers console for 4xx and 5xx response codes. The console can be opened by pressing F12 key.

Apache's error log: there is no error logged in Mibew's directory.

Make sure PHP's error_reporting option is set to E_ALL and check the logs again.

The above information is all about my external server (hosting). I've an internal server where I'm thinking to install Mibew and test again. Do you already know if the configuration below is more stable?

- Mibew: 2.0.0-beta.5 (then I'll upgrade)
- PHP: 5.4.36-0+deb7u3 (cli) (built: Jan  9 2015 09:05:14)
- MySQL: 14.14 Distrib 5.5.41, for debian-linux-gnu (i686) using readline 6.2

You definitely should update Mibew to 2.0.0-beta.5, because several performance enhancements were made since 2.0.0-beta.3. As for the system configuration I cannot really say which configuration is the best. Only tests can show it.

jpassing

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 01:35:29 PM »
I will upgrade Mibew's version, verify PHP configuration and change it, if necessary.

In fact, I've already tested other browsers (and got the same results), but I've quoted the one which is widely used here. I will keep you informed.

Thank you so much again.