Author Topic: Why is there so many hits on /thread/update URL?  (Read 3862 times)

vishalshah

Why is there so many hits on /thread/update URL?
« on: May 05, 2016, 05:58:43 PM »
When I checked the AWStats log, I can see that there are thousands of page views/requests to /thread/update URL where's we didn't have that many visitors. I know that when visitor starts chatting, thread/update URL gets called every 2 seconds, even it gets called for the operator's chat window too.

I really need to reduce this request as it's taking lots of server bandwidth.

Can anyone suggest me something please?

Thanks
Vishal

scalior

• Global Moderator
  • Native
  • Serve customers on mobile. Get Wurrd for Mibew app
    • Wurrd for Mibew
Re: Why is there so many hits on /thread/update URL?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 06:24:10 PM »
Hello,

Initially I thought it was the path that is used to determine whether there are new visitors requesting a chat, but I think this is the path that is used for that: /operator/users/update

If all your operators have closed their chat windows, then it is possible that this is coming from your visitors who have not yet closed their chat windows. One way to determine that is by looking at the source IP of where those requests are coming from. If they are coming from within your organization then there is a bug in the software. If it is coming from your visitors, then you have to live with this until they close their chat windows. In this case, an enhancement would be to stop requesting for chat updates once the chat thread has been closed.

These are all [educated] guesses based on quickly looking at the code. I may have missed something.