Author Topic: how to create a new style?  (Read 8006 times)

jobertus

how to create a new style?
« on: September 22, 2016, 07:17:33 AM »
Hello guys,

is there a howto/documentation to create a new style?
I am running the newest Version from 2.x.
So far i read some threads but i think they are for older versions, furthermore i tried to change some files first copying the default and i tried modifications, do i have to build everything new with gulp just for a new stlye( i read something about this)?

Thanks you
Jobert

scalior

• Global Moderator
  • Native
  • Serve customers on mobile. Get Wurrd for Mibew app
    • Wurrd for Mibew
Re: how to create a new style?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 08:20:35 AM »
Hello,

My understanding is that the styling framework has not been completely defined, so you are right that you need to do some build after making changes. However, you may not need to build the entire project but just the styles. I had inquired and got this response: https://mibew.org/forums/index.php/topic,191966.0.html

Also, Michael is working on another theme (https://mibew.org/forums/index.php/topic,192081.0.html). I suppose you can share knowledge with each other as you work to improve the software.

MichaelTunnell

• Native
  • Yesterday is History and Tomorrow is a Mystery
    • MichaelTunnell.com
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 11:50:47 PM »
To get started all you have to do is create a new folder via copied from the default folder. Then go into the General Config section of the Settings in Mibew and change it to the new title of the folder.

The title of the folder is the only thing that controls the name of the theme so literally just changing that is enough. Once you have switched it to the new style your changes will start appearing as you make them.

As @scalior said, I am working on a new theme of my own but I am actually attempting to redesign the entire project interface. Here is https://mibew.org/forums/index.php/topic,192081.0.html the preview for the redesign.

jobertus

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:25:52 PM »
hey,

@scalior, thanks for the information, good to know the current state, maybe i can start with this.
@Michael, looks neat hope you can release the theme soon  :P , would like to try it

MichaelTunnell

• Native
    • MichaelTunnell.com
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 03:42:55 PM »
looks neat hope you can release the theme soon  :P

me too . . . still waiting on response from the Mibew team regarding interest. :)

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 08:33:27 AM »
Hi there.

Thanks, @Michael. We really appreciate your recent activity. And I promise that soon you'll get our feedback @Github. It's a matter of days not weeks.

At the same time why don't you want to release your actual work as a theme? To make it something like a prototype for early adopters.

Frankly, at present time we're a little bit busy with other projects, so Mibew Messenger doesn't get all the attention it deserves. :) Hope that it will change.

MichaelTunnell

• Native
    • MichaelTunnell.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 03:09:14 PM »
At the same time why don't you want to release your actual work as a theme? To make it something like a prototype for early adopters.

@faf, my reason for not releasing yet is multi-factored.

1. It's not ready other than demo purposes.
2. I want to redesign the whole project from Admin & Chat Window to Buttons & Invitations. I haven't had time to do a lot of what I want to do.
3. There are some bugs with the theme that requires core modifications. The bugs are tiny but are noticeable which is why I want to discuss it with you and Dmitriy.
4. It includes FontAwesome which up until today was not sure if usage of it would be kosher.

I did send you and Dmitriy a zip of the Admin theme in its current state but it's not really ready for even testing.

Actually now that #4 is answered, the only real thing holding me back is #3 which I'd like to discuss with you and Dmitriy whenever you guys got the time. Or we could do it over email if preferred.

Frankly, at present time we're a little bit busy with other projects, so Mibew Messenger doesn't get all the attention it deserves. :) Hope that it will change.

Understandable. I realize the time it took me to deliver on my promise makes it so I have nothing to complain about when it comes to response time. :)

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 11:25:04 AM »
Yeah, now I see your email. Somehow it was marked as phishing message and treated as spam. :D

I'll take a look at the theme in the next couple of days.

At the same time, we don't clearly understand, what you are actually want us to do. If you think that there are any bugs you can either open issues @ Github, or email us in case if for any reasons you don't want to discuss them publically.