Author Topic: Set Admin Permissions in database  (Read 3330 times)

acherwinski

Set Admin Permissions in database
« on: July 14, 2020, 08:46:14 PM »
Is it possible to assign the admin permissions via editing a Operator in the Database?

My only admin is locked out and the password reset is not sending out password reset messages.

Thanks

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
Re: Set Admin Permissions in database
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 09:09:37 PM »
You were supposed to read the FAQ: https://mibew.org/faq#troubles (last point in the Troubleshooting chapter).

acherwinski

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 04:06:07 PM »
Thanks faf,

I had looked at the FAQ. The mail send didn't seem to be working (so pswd reset didn't work) and I also tried copying an known operator hashed password in the admin user, but that didn't seem to work.  I thought there might have been another  permission value in the db.  I got around it otherwise.  Thanks

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 04:15:19 PM »
I had looked at the FAQ. The mail send didn't seem to be working (so pswd reset didn't work) and I also tried copying an known operator hashed password in the admin user, but that didn't seem to work.

Let me quote the FAQ for you:

the password should be set to a value of the md5 hash of a new password

It's not the same as copying the hashed password of another operator. Ordinary passwords are stored as salted hashes, so different users has different hashes even if their passwords are the same.  The way described in the FAQ is a rescue way. And that's why it is written there that one should change the password once again using the standard interface immediately after regaining the access to your system.