Author Topic: Can't answer visitor chat requests  (Read 10535 times)

fnoss

Can't answer visitor chat requests
« on: December 06, 2013, 07:08:34 AM »
Hi all,

Kudos to the developer/s for creating this little gem!  I'm just about to start up a little business (with no money) and webim is both free and very useful.

I am however having some teething problems which are stopping me from appreciating it fully.  I've installed webim on my hosting account and placed a button in my opencart store. To test that it was working I initiated a chat from the store by clicking the button.  I heard the ting in the background and sure enough, a "visitor" was waiting to chat in the back-end. 

Unfortunately, when clicking the chat icon in the visitor section, the message window pops up but only displays the message
old browser is used, please update it
I use firefox 25 chrome 31.#### and the latest version of epiphany.  All recieve the same message.

Something I haven't tried is to change the useragent to an older browser so I'll do that now.

As a side issue, how in the world do you clear active chat request that are just sitting there waiting?  I now have about 10 active (i know, I know... click the exit icon, right :-[) but I now need to get rid of the ones already sitting there.

Thanks for the help in advance
Nick

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 07:15:49 AM by fnoss »

fnoss

Re: Can't answer visitor chat requests
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 08:35:36 AM »
Update: I have tried user agent switching and it did not help in any of the browsers.

Thanks

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 12:56:02 PM »
First of all, it's not webim. It's mibew. This is absolutely fundamental. :D

Next. We are talking about Mibew Messenger 1.6.8 here, aren't we?

Then. Have you tried to work with our demo using your browser(s)? This is necessary to define whether it is a client-related problem or a server-related one.

fnoss

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »
hehe, Mibew it is ;D  my brain is always working backwards.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I've got 1.6.8 installed through softalicious.

I have tried the demo and everything works as it should through my browser. Must be a server-related problem then.

So, I've just done a reinstall from the softalicous script but this has not helped.  I will now download mibew from this site and install it manually.

I'll keep you posted.  Nothing worse then a thread to a problem you have without a fix  ::)

fnoss

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »
Oh well, thought installing from a different source would help but it hasn't. Still the same message
Code: [Select]
old browser is used, please update it
I am fully open to any suggestions you might have faf

Thanks

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 03:10:59 PM »
Mibew 1.6.8 tries to define the version of the browser in functions get_remote_level and is_old_browser in libs/chat.php. That functions in its turn make use of environment variable $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'].

So, the key is the value of that variable.

The quick'n'dirty solution for your issue is to change the function get_remote_level so that it will always return "ajaxed". But I'd recommend you to find out what your server is setting as a value of $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'], why does he behave so, and how one could fix this behavior.

fnoss

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 07:24:45 PM »
Hello faf,

I have sent a support request to the hosting company to ask them how its handled.  Hopefully they will get back to me soon.

As for the quick and dirty fix... that worked great. Thank you!

For those that need more specific instructions, do the following

-Connect to your server/hosting via FTP
-Navigate to and open up /Mibew/libs/chat.php
-Change the last line of the function is_ajax_browser (line 232) from false to true
-save changes
-You should be good to go.

When the hosting company gets back to me I will update this thread with the agent string they were using to cause the problem in the first place.

Thanks for your help faf :)
Nick

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 11:42:57 AM »
You're welcome.  :)

Though, this is really a kind of dirty hack, so it should be treated only as the last resort.