Author Topic: (RESOLVED) Error 403 on install  (Read 9536 times)

earmsby

(RESOLVED) Error 403 on install
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:55:35 PM »
Hello,

I have followed the instructions in the READ ME as exactly as possible. Uploaded files exactly as in the zipped download into a folder on the root of my site named "mibew."  Created a database named xxx_mibew (unfortunately I cannot create a database with the exact name "mibew" because I am on a shared host).  I edited the config file with correct db user and password and also changed the value of $mysqldb to the name above (xxx_mibew).

When I try to go to mibew/install I get:

403 Permission Denied

You do not have permission for this request /mibew/install/

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:40:05 PM by earmsby »

earmsby

Re: Error 403 on install
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:24:25 PM »
Aha!  Some progress ... but slight.  Although the READ ME said to chmod the install folder to 644, I tried using 755 instead (after trying 777 and getting a different error).  So now I can see the beginning part of the install process and the Mibew icon and so forth.  But it shows a new error:

Correct the mistakes:
Checksum differs for /mibew/.htaccess
Please, re-upload files to the server.

I have not changed the files.  It seems like maybe editing the config file as directed in the READ ME might have made something not match?  I have no idea what sort of checksum this install process if using.

I guess I will start over and re-upload everything.  Will report back if that fixes it.

earmsby

Re: Error 403 on install
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 11:39:02 PM »
Hurrah!  I finally found a way to get past this error!

I found another thread (after much searching) which gave the clue:

We got  just litle trick,
Edit "package" file in install directory and remove fistline ".htaccess ..........."
It will Skip check md5 file ".htaccess" that already change

I did that - opened the package file in a text editor and just took out the first line of text.  And viola!  It installed!  Yea!

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
Re: (RESOLVED) Error 403 on install
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 07:36:33 AM »
Well... It looks like you're the first man who read the README file.  ;D Probably, we'll rewrite it to make installation instructions more clear.

As of .htaccess, you'd better ensure that this file does exists and is the same as in the distribution. There should be no errors with its checksum unless it was changed. And this is a serious issue related to the security of your installation. So you'd better check it ASAP.

earmsby

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »
Well, first I am a woman, not a man ;) but yes I read very carefully the READ ME.  I only tried changing the permissions setting to 755 instead of 644 when it failed to work four times in row of deleting everything, reuploading, changing the config values over and over again. 

I will double check the .htaccess but I uploaded it exactly as in the zip file.  I even over wrote the file later after having uploaded.  I don't know if something in the checksum is incorrect or something but there was no way to proceed from that error after a month of trying to install and research in questions on this forum.

Thank you for your feedback and advice, though.

faf

• Mibew Staff Member
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 12:06:03 PM »
Well, first I am a woman, not a man ;)

Actually, I've used the word 'man' not as a designation of male, but as a designation of human being. But it's great to know that our community is not a kind of a private men's club. In Mibew Messenger project we respect the principle of gender equality, so welcome aboard.  :)

but yes I read very carefully the READ ME.  I only tried changing the permissions setting to 755 instead of 644 when it failed to work four times in row of deleting everything, reuploading, changing the config values over and over again. 

I can confirm that you've noticed an error that was in README for at least 4 years. Now it's fixed, and the new README file will be included in the next release of Mibew Messenger. :)

Thank you for your feedback and advice, though.

You're welcome.