Author Topic: online_timeout  (Read 9771 times)

marten

online_timeout
« on: August 28, 2009, 10:05:06 AM »
I'm not sure what value to set online_timeout to?
In de database it is set to 30 - but this seems to low, since a logged in operator is never shown as "online" (and thus not showing the "online" button). Is this in seconds (looks like it judging the code of the function "has_online_operators").

In general, I don't understand the way WebIM determines if a user is logged in or not.
Is it not wise to set a field (e.g. online) in the database, just stating if the operator is online (1) or not (0)?
Right now it seems to be based on a login time, which would be rather arbitrary. But correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm using 1.6.1 by the way.

Inspirer

• Mibew Project founder
  • Native
    • Mibew Messenger
Re: online_timeout
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 03:25:26 PM »
Operator becomes online when he visits "Awaiting visitors" page. While he stays there the page continuously asks the server for updates. The operator is considered as online if he asked for updates not more that 30 seconds ago (online_timeout option value).

Since 1.6.2 you can configure timing options on "Settings -> Performance" page. The option is called "Operator online time threshold".

marten

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:00:16 AM »
Ah!

Thanks for your explanation, Inspirer.
Very clear.

tobywallis

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 03:17:24 AM »
Hi. I'm having problems with this setting. Out of the box it was 30 seconds. But it kept dropping out before 30 seconds and anyway I wanted to be able to have it on all the time, so I changed it to 86400 (24 hours in seconds.) But that (and subsequent changes) makes no difference.

Sometimes I get only 5 seconds on the Awaiting Visitors page after which it says my session has timed out. This results in not getting alerts if somebody opens a chat window - not good, because they think I'm not responding! So unless I can sort this out I won't be able to use the application.

I have another installation on the same server which does the opposite - it always stays online, regardless of what the timeout setting is. Actually, I prefer this!

Any ideas how I can correct this issue? Alternatively, is there any way of disabling the timeout altogether?

Thanks

===Toby===

tobywallis

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 03:50:29 AM »
I believe I have found the cause of the problem on my server.

My php.ini settings limited the maximum execution time to 60 seconds. No idea why this should cause a timeout after 15-20 seconds, but removing it seems to have done the trick.

If you're having similar issues, have a look at that.

===Toby===